bar.png
facebook small transe.png
twitter bird.png
Photographs
1985
 
The Schoolhouse

The history of the Schoolhouse is uncertain but parts of the building are believed to date back to the 1700s. The Schoolhouse provided accommodation for the Headmaster and his family up to the time of Taylor Dyson's retirement in 1945; since then the Headmaster's study and School office have been located on the ground floor.
1997

Jack Taylor gets the boot

Jack Taylor retired in 1997. In this photograph, he is presented with a fine pair of walking boots.

Left to right: Mrs C Watkins; Mrs J Taylor; Mrs D Bush; D Bush (photographer); Mrs Jessica Taylor.
2002

OAS Junior Cricket

A keenly contested junior cricket match is captured in this photograph taken on a summer's afternoon in June, 2002. The cricket pavilion, seen in the distance, was opened by the Duchess of Scarbrough at a cost of around £4,000 in 1958.
2004

Specialist Science College

King James's School was designated a Specialist Science College in 2004 thanks to generous sponsorship support from The Old Almondburians' Society, the King James's School Foundation, and those organisations and individuals listed on this board on display at the School. Specialist schools are an important part of the Government's plans to raise standards in secondary education.

As a Specialist Science College, King James's School is using its specialist status to create a challenging environment, to raise standards of achievement and to enhance the quality of teaching and learning in science and mathematics for all students. The School's objective is to become a centre of excellence in scientific, technological, enterprising and vocational education.
2002

The Schoolhouse

The old schoolhouse is a grade II listed building and it is therefore no surprise that this scene has changed little over the decades.
2006

Big Tree: the remains

The Big Tree, ringed from the late 1930s by a circular wooden seat, was a feature of the School playground for many years and its demise in 1996 was an occasion of sadness for Old Almondburians. For some years, the tree's remains at the top of the former 'bunk' served as a reminder of its past glory.