The Schoolhouse

It is likely that this photograph - one of a series taken by the same commercial photographer in 1937 - was prompted by the full inspection of the School that was carried out in that year. Taylor Dyson was the last 'Gaffer' to live in the house; when he retired in 1945 his successors chose to live outside the School precincts.

New Chemistry lab

The growth of the School in the 1930s made it essential to embark on major extensions which were completed in 1939. In addition to the familiar building shown here (comprising new Physics and Chemistry laboratories, three classrooms and a staff common room), the extensions also provided an Art Room and Handicraft Room at the rear and - for the first time - a purpose designed gymnasium/assembly room.

The new gymnasium

One can almost smell the paint in the new gymnasium in this photograph of Walter Haigh with Form 4L in 1940. Walter had joined the School as a part-time teacher in 1929 and took up his full-time appointment in 1936.

Form 4L in the new  Chemistry lab

The 'new' School extensions cost £16,000 and were completed in 1939. They included well-equipped Physics and Chemistry labs; this view of the Chemistry lab, with a fume cupboard containing Kipp's Apparatus in the background, will be familiar to every Old Almondburian.

Form 4L

A war-time photograph of Form 4L and their Form Master Fred Hudson on the School tennis courts, with the Schoolhouse in the background.

(Back row): George Haigh; Brian Hindson; John Hoyle; Ron Edwards; Warwick Matthews; Bill Douglas; 'Freddy Fox'
(Middle row): K B Whitely; K Wood; R G Berry; Austin Holroyd; Geoff Stafford; Gordon Teal; G Clifford Gilleard; Schlesinger; Bill Darby

(Front row): Brian Meal; Jim Gilmour; R Webster; Taylor Dyson (Headmaster); F S Hudson; R Whiteley; Frank Hall; ?

Football First XI

Here, the team of 1941/2 poses with Reg Addy (at this time in command of the School Flight of the Air Training Corps) and Walter Haigh on the tennis court, with Fenay Quad providing the backdrop. It was a successful year for the team: they won every match.

Back row): Reg Addy; Bob Goldsmith; Moorhouse; Smallwood; Patsy Mullen; Walter Haigh
(Middle row): Darby; Hall; Oxley; Harvey; Smith
(Front row): Ron Edwards; Fleming

Cross-country team

The Cross-Country Team poses with Headmaster John Baldwin in 1948. Derek Ibbotson, sitting next to PT Master Harry Binns, was the greatest runner the school has ever produced: he won a bronze medal in the 5000 metres event at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956 (competing against Kuts and Pirie) and broke the world record for the mile in a time of 3 min. 57.2 sec. in 1957.

(Back row): Burns; B Townsend; D K Ward
(Front row): D Sykes; Bostock; R B Yates; Headmaster; Harry Binns; D Ibbotson; E N Mitchell; G Gothard

Physics lab

A scene of deep concentration in the Physics lab as this group of six-formers undertake some top-level experimental work. Physics Master Frank Whalley can be seen on the far right, beyond the oscilloscope.

Form 6

John Baldwin retired soon after this photograph was taken in 1948, after 27 years at the School and four years as Headmaster. The Sixth Form of 1948 poses in front of the schoolhouse.

(Back row): Frank Halmshaw; Beaumont; Derek Dowling; Derek Roberts; Peter Stancliffe; Don Smith, ?;  Geoffrey Armitage.
(Front row): Ron Lancaster; David Oxley; Drake; 'Copper' Robinson; Johnny Hopton; John Baldwin, Peter Scott; Wilcox; Peacocke; JD Knowles.