bar.png
facebook small transe.png
twitter bird.png
Photographs
1864
 
Mrs Nowell and Miss Easther

This very early photograph shows Mrs John Shearran Nowell and her son Charles (left) with Miss Louisa Ann Easther; in the background is the Schoolhouse and the Schoolroom.

Mrs Nowell was daughter-in-law of one of the School's brightest early pupils: John Nowell (1794-1869). Always interested in science, he wrote numerous scientific papers and formed friendships with such eminent scientists of the day as John Dalton, Humphrey Davy and Michael Faraday. It was he, as a Governor of the School in 1851, that played a leading role in the setting up of the 'Chemical Society of King James' which led in due course to the building of 'The Cloisters' in 1868.

Miss Easther was the sole sister of the Headmaster of the day, Rev Alfred Easther. She supervised the domestic side of the School for some 24 years and Rev Easther never really recovered from the blow of her early death in 1872 at the age of 50.
1865

Snowballing

This fascinating photograph showing virtually the whole school of around 35 pupils assembled with Rev Alfred Easther (inset) for a snowball fight on a winter's day around 1865. The schoolhouse is in the background and behind it, at right angles, is the schoolroom (later Old Dining Hall) with a dormitory (later known as 'Old Dormitory', then 'Dorm 4' and now a staff 'quiet room') above. These latter buildings were completed around 1848, when Easther had only recently arrived as Headmaster.
1878

The Rugby Team

Rev Thomas Newton - a talented amateur actor and rugby enthusiast - became Headmaster in 1876. This photograph, taken in 1878, shows the School Fifteen; it included Newton's son Arthur and two of his nephews. Later the same year, Newton moved on to become vicar of Shepley.
1885 

The Rugby Team

Like his predecessor Thomas Newton, the Rev Francis Marshall (Headmaster from 1878 to 1896) was a great rugby enthusiast who was keen to develop further the School's interest in this sport. In this photograph, Marshall poses with his 1884 team.
c1890 

The ODH

The Old Dining Hall ('ODH'), was originally the Schoolroom. This photograph, dating back to around 1890, shows it set out in readiness for a meal: note the gas lighting above and the tablet to the recently departed Headmaster, Rev Alfred Easther (1848-1876), on the far wall. The stained glass window to the left of the fireplace was put in at Easther's own expense in 1859.
1894

Pupils and staff

The number of pupils at the School had fallen to around 40 when this group photograph was taken in Fenay Quad in the Spring of 1894. The teacher standing on the left is the second in command James Adamson ('Penky Jim'), while the cloaked figure on the right is Herr Max Grabner who taught modern languages with Teutonic strictness.
Griffiths large 2.jpg
1897

Leonard Frederick Griffiths

This solemn-looking gentleman was appointed Headmaster in 1897. He had good cause to look a bit glum: although an excellent teacher, well-liked by the boys, he was a hopeless manager who progressively left the running of the School in the hands of his Assistant Master Alfred Baker. In due course, the governors decided that enough was enough and terminated his employment in 1900.