bar.png
facebook small transe.png
twitter bird.png
Drawings
Main entrance to the School

This attractive scraper board by Brian Littlewood shows the main entrance to the School, with the tennis court netting in the background.
The old entrance yard and kitchen

This scraper board drawing by fifth-former P A Haigh first appeared in The Almondburian in 1955. It shows the entrance yard off St Helen's Gate and the old kitchen with accommodation above, built on to the Schoolhouse in 1880.
The old cricket pavilion

It is hard to believe that this small wooden hut - little larger than a garden shed - served as the School cricket pavilion until 1958.
A stylized view of the ‘new’ entrance

This imaginative scraper board drawing of the new School Entrance, constructed as part of the 1939 extensions, was by Art Master Edward Akroyd. Note the four School Houses of the day along the base of the building, the School crest over the door and the pupils hard at work in the roof tiles.
Another view of the Schoolhouse

This view of the Schoolhouse by R I Sykes of 4 alpha was drawn several years before Roger Dowling's drawing on the previous page.
Almondburian cover 1972 mono.jpg
Corridor and ancient desk

This evocative drawing of the passage past the Headmaster's study shows the famous old school desk complete with a decorative fleur de lys motif. The passage was formed when the new schoolroom was built on the foundations of the old in 1848.
Another view of the Schoolhouse

This was drawn by Charlie Starkey who went on to become a very successful artist and illustrator living in the USA. The drawing was used as the cover illustration for The Almondburian for several years in the 1970s.
A view from the Art Room

No doubt drawn under the eagle eye of Art Master Edward ('Teak') Akroyd, this pen and ink drawing by Roger Sykes shows the fields outside the 1950s Artroom and, in the distance, Almondbury Church.
Old schoolroom window

This drawing first appeared in The Almondburian of Easter 1951, captioned 'The Old Schoolroom Window (1609). At that time, the School was incorrectly thought to have received its Royal Charter in 1609 but it is almost certainly wrong to ascribe the date of the window to 1608. According to the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner, ‘the mullioned windows date back as far as the late 17th century.’